QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

Part A In "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge," how does the point

[复制链接]
admin 发表于 2023-4-6 10:11:54 [显示全部楼层] 回帖奖励 倒序浏览 阅读模式 0 727
Part A In "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge," how does the point...
Part A In "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge," how does the point of view shift toward the end of Section I?
a.
The point of view shifts from first person to third person.
b.
The point of view shifts from third person to first person.
c.
The point of view shifts from limited third person to omniscient third person.
d.
The point of view shifts from omniscient third person to limited third person.
Part B Which excerpt from that part of the story best illustrates the shift identified in Part A?  
a.
These movements left the condemned man and the sergeant standing on the two ends of the same plank, which spanned three of the crossties of the bridge.
b.
This plank had been held in place by the weight of the captain; it was now held by that of the sergeant. At a signal from the former the latter would step aside, the plank would tilt and the condemned man go down between two ties.
c.
He looked a moment at his "unsteadfast footing," then let his gaze wander to the swirling water of the stream racing madly beneath his feet.
d.
"If I could free my hands," he thought, "I might throw off the noose and spring into the stream. By diving I could evade the bullets and, swimming vigorously, reach the bank, take to the woods and get away home."

[backcolor=rgba(var(--colors-gray-30),var(--tw-bg-opacity))]Answer & Explanation[color=rgba(var(--colors-green-50),var(--tw-text-opacity))]Solved by verified expert

[color=rgba(var(--colors-gray-80),var(--tw-text-opacity))]Answered by HighnessBraveryGorilla29 on coursehero.com
Part A

A.The point of view shifts from first person to third person.

As the thoughts and emotions of the protagonist are investigated at the start of Section I, the point of view shifts to the first person throughout this portion of the chapter. The first part of Section I is told from the first-person point of view, but toward the conclusion of the section, the narrative takes on the viewpoint of an observer looking in on the action from the outside. Part B

B. This plank had been held in place by the weight of the captain; it was now held by that of the sergeant. At a signal from the former the latter would step aside, the plank would tilt and the condemned man go down between two ties.

This passage is a good example of the transition from the first person to the third person point of view. The thoughts and emotions of the protagonist are investigated when the story is told from the first person point of view, however when the story is told from the third person point of view, the narration moves to an objective third-person viewpoint to explain the events that are going place. In this passage, the activities that will take place upon receiving the signal from the captain are described using the third-person point of view. The passage also describes the sergeant and the condemned man who are standing on the plank.

[backcolor=rgba(var(--colors-purple-10),var(--tw-bg-opacity))]Step-by-step explanation
Part A

A. The point of view of the story shifts from the first person to the third during the course of the telling.

The point of view turns to the first person throughout this section of the chapter as the thoughts and feelings of the protagonist are probed at the beginning of Section I. This continues throughout this part of the chapter. The early portion of Section I is narrated from the first-person point of view, but as the section comes to a close, the point of view of the narrative shifts to that of an observer looking in on the event from the outside. Part B

B. The weight of the captain was formerly responsible for maintaining the stability of this board; however, the weight of the sergeant is now maintaining the stability of this board. In response to a signal from the former, the latter would step back, which would force the plank to tilt, therefore enabling the condemned man to slide down between the two binds.

The viewpoint shifts from the first person to the third person in this section, which serves as an excellent illustration of the transition. When the tale is recounted from the first person point of view, the thoughts and feelings of the protagonist are probed; however, when the story is told from the third person point of view, the narration shifts to an objective third-person perspective to describe the events that are taking place. The actions that will take place after getting the signal from the captain are discussed in this section from a third-person point of view using language that is in the passive voice. A description is given of the convicted guy and the sergeant who are both standing on the board.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

官方微博
官方微博
模板大全
模板大全
意见
反馈